Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Ready - Set - Go!


Today is the third Wednesday of the month and that means a Ready, Set, Go Challenge Card! The 3 Musketeers (Jeanette, Kelly and me) are back with another challenge this month--our 12th month!  We just finished our first year--so look out year #2!


Jeanette provided the challenge for April: April 18th is an important day. It is the day that my maternal grandfather was born.  Oliver Guy Fredrick Hess.  April 18, 1909 - May 11, 1988.  Even though he's been gone for nearly 30 years, my Grandfather's memory continues to impact my family. He was an honest man of great morals. He was hardworking (and believed in work before play). He was a man who loved his family dearly. He could play the piano by ear (but only when wearing work gloves) and he was an amazing storyteller. I can't imagine what my life would have been like without my Grandpa in it.  In honor of this pillar in my family, here is my Ready Set Go! challenge...
Choose an ancestor (it can be any of your ancestors... but maybe - just maybe - you'd like to choose the one who's birthday is closest to April 18th) and create a card that in some way reflects that person. Here are some suggestions to ponder when creating your card (in case you're stumped and need a jump start): his/her favorite color, his/her career choice, his/her favorite beverage or food, his/her heritage, a lesson he/she taught you... or something totally different.  And please be sure to tell us a little bit about the relative you chose when you share your card.  Ready? Set. Go!

I picked a farm image in honor of my dad--Anton Deichl, Sr.  He was born in Germany on July 4, 1906 and came to the US in his early 20's.  He first settled in Chicago, where he met my mom and they lived until the late 40's, raising two children there.  He always wanted to farm, as did his family and my mom's family, in Germany--she too was born there and came to the US in her 20's.  Their hometown's in Germany were about 50 miles apart and they met in Chicago!  They bought a farm in central Wisconsin, about 2 hours north of Chicago.  He was a very successful dairy farmer and I have always said, they needed a farmhand, and had me!  Yes, I am the youngest, 18 and 20 years, younger than my brother and sister--my parent's second family!  He was a dairy farmer and had some of the best crops year after year in the area! He too was a hard worker as was my mom.  They loved being outside in the fields--rain or shine, hot or cold, any day of the year--and rarely taking any type of a vacation or day off!   My dad stopped milking cows when I left for college, but he continued to raise beef cows and farm the land.  Both of my parents died at age 83 and both were still living on their farm when they passed.  My dad was still "farming" until the end of his time and we sold all of the cattle after he passed, but my mom still lived in the house for another 4 years.  

It is my honor to make a card with a farm scene--and a windmill, which was on our farm.  I decided this image needed to be watercolored, so I took out my new set of Derwent Inktense Ink pencils.  Since my fellow 2 Musketeers were at my house in January and we had my friend Kathy come and teach us some of her watercolor tips, it seemed perfect to use them on this card!  



Here is the inside of my card:


Please be sure to check out the other Ready, Set, Go cards.  Here is a link to Jeanette's and Kelly's blog.  I am sure you will not be disappointed and will see a couple of great cards! I hope Kelly and Jeanette like my card and that you might too!  Kelly is up for the next theme, so be sure to check back to see what we are up to on the 3rd Wednesday in May! I am sure it will be a fun challenge!

Image/Sentiment: Farm River City Rubber Works Farmhouse with Windmill/ Gina K Designs Scripty Sayings 2

Cardstock/Patterned Paper:  Watercolor Paper; Stampin' Up Basic Black, Early Espresso; Creative Imaginations Barbed Wire Patterned Paper 

Ink:  Stazon Black

Accessories:  Fiber; Black Pearls; Derwent Inktense Ink Pencils




3 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Oh Barb - where to start. This card is just gorgeous. I even love the elongated script on the inside ! Your story is such a wonderful history and a true part of you ! ( I went with a farm too!) so fun to learn more about Barb :)

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Barb, your card is sensational - way to go on the watercoloring! I think the best part of your post, though, is the stories of your parents... and their farm hand. Loved hearing your heritage! THANK YOU for taking the challenge theme I presented and doing it so beautifully!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fabulous card Barb - and thanks for sharing your story with us - wha incredibly hard working people your parents must have been!
Blessings
Maxine