Monday, August 12, 2019

Hot Mess ~ Success Debuts


Welcome to another fun group that I am blessed to be a part of.  The idea of Hot Mess ~ Success started with Kelly recently making a card and using the #hotmess on her Instagram post.  As we were texting back and forth, she said we should come up with a new group and she volunteered me to set it up! I then asked Jeanette, part of our other three groups to join us in this challenge and I also asked Terry if she wanted to be a part of the messiness!  So--we are a group of 4 and we will post a card each month on the 12th.  The general theme is to Get Messy and you will have Success!  Messiness can be almost anything that we come up with--glitter, alcohol inks, glimmer glitz, sponged backgrounds, etc., anything that is a bit messy.  Most months there will not be a theme--like our inaugural month of August!   But, some times one of us might toss out a challenge for the group--so stay tuned!



For this month's messiness, I went way back to a technique that I used 12-15 years ago--Shaving Cream and Re-inkers! I know most of you have done this at one time and you do know that it is messy!  Here are some photos to prove that:








I used 4 primary colors of Stampin' Up re-inkers--Real Red, Night of Navy, Daffodil Delight and Garden Green.  The final picture shows how messy this technique was.  Yes, that is a stamp set laying on top of one of the backgrounds--full of shaving cream.  I went to get a paper towel and knocked over the plastic bin with my design team stamps from The Project Bin and one fell right on the card.  And, a few others also got inky shaving cream on them!  I will have a colorful reminder of my first hot mess!

Here are some of the completed card fronts. The top ones on the right were the first ones and the color is very vivid. I used a plastic hotel key to wipe the inked shaving cream on the cards in the right photograph.  I like the subtle look of those.   


 

Here is another look at my card and the inside of my card:



Here is another card I made with one of the backgrounds:

 

For the front of both cards, I used a die and metallic cardstock.  

Here are the links to the other members of Hot Mess ~ Success.  Please be sure to check out Jeanette's, Terry's and Kelly's blogs. I am sure you will enjoy seeing how everyone got messy and was successful in making some great cards! We will all be back each month, so be sure to check back to see what we are up to on October 12th!

Die Cut: Penny Black Out to Sea/Sizzix Tim Holtz Globe

Cardstock: Recollections 110# White; 
Sailboat--Stampin' Up Real Red, Blueberry Bushel; The Paper Cut Blue Mirri Paper 
Globe-Stampin' UP Garden Green, Night of Navy; The Paper Cut Silver Mirri Paper

Ink: Globe Card-Paper Wings Productions Sayings and Sentiments

Accessories:  None this time




4 comments:

Terry Ladwig said...

It is too funny that we used the same messy technique for our first challenge! Isn't it amazing how different ours turned out? I still can't believe that this was the first time i tried this technique....it was fun! I just may do it again :-)

Thanks for inviting me to be a part of this fun monthly challenge!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fun challenge Barb - and a fabulous couple of cards as a result - I love using that technique... that is giving me ideas :) Thanks for the inspiration
Blessings
Maxine

MiamiKel said...

WOW! Stamps jumping into shaving cream, you stumbling about, making messes ........ sounds like I want to craft at YOUR house! :) First, THANK YOU for inviting me into your messy, fun, creative, talented group! This is going to be oceans of fun! Second, your card - WOW, WOW ... and WOW! I actually did a shaving cream background, too - LOL! Then decided to nix it and started with something else that won ........ but I do love the softness of yours and the beautiful die is exquisite! Here's to a Hot Mess Success!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Barb, this is so cool... I've heard of the shaving cream technique but never tried it. It seemed so intimidating to me. But now, seeing your photo tutorial, I'm thinking it wouldn't be so bad after all.

Then, looking at your cards - WOW! I love the subtle look of the shaving cream outcome and the way you added diecut pieces to the cards. Gorgeous!!!