Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Stamping Sisters Winter Camp 2022--Day 3


Hello Friends and Stamping Sisters.  Are you enjoying our camp this week?  This is day 3 and I am up as the counselor.  




Here are our blogs and the days we were or are going to be the camp counselor:

Monday/January 24th  ~ Jeanette @ Creativeplay 
Tuesday/January 25th ~ Kelly @ Sandcastlestamper
Wednesday/January 26th ~ Barb (me!)  @ inkingintoretirement
Thursday/January 27th ~ Darlene @ Accordingtobijou

My card is pretty simple and I think fun to make.  But, I do have a lot of pictures and instructions to help you understand better what we are doing.  This is called Faux Tile Backsplash!  Your supply list will include: two colors of cardstock, Score Tape, Versamark Ink, Clear Embossing Powder, a Heat Gun, a Bone Folder, a Paper Trimmer and whatever stamp and or die you want on your card.  Optional is a die that cuts strips or use your paper trimmer.



First, pick out two colors of cardstock you want as your background.  I went with black and blue, as I wanted a more masculine card.  Cut with your trimmer or use a strip die if you have one, both colors into 1/2" strips.  I have about 10 of each color, about 8 inches long.  I used a die from my Simon Says Stamp Strips 1 set



Then, take a piece of cardstock, any color will work as it will be completely covered, and put a heavy duty tape on all 4 sides.   I used Score-tape.  Be sure to burnish it with your bone folder so it is fully attached.



Take the backing of the tape off of the "top" of the panel--leaving the backing on the other 3 sides.  Place strips on color on the exposed score tape, going all the way across the panel.  Be sure they are tight and touching each other.  You can also burnish the strips on the top row of tape.  Again, do not remove any tape from the other 3 sides yet!




Now-take the second color and weave every other alternate strip. Be sure to push them up along the way, so they are tight.  You might see some edges from using your nails to push and that is okay as it will not show in the end.  Be sure to keep them straight or as straight as possible!


 
When complete, you will then remove the backing from the tape on the sides, as well as the bottom.  Again, burnish if needed.   You will then see you need to glue down the flaps on the edges that are not attached with the tape.  Then, you can trim off all of the extra edges.  I used a scissor, but a paper trimmer also works.



Now, we are ready for the shine!    Take your Versamark pad and ink up the entire panel.  I have my woven panel on a silicone mat--but you can use paper or anything that you can use your heat gun on. After the layer of ink is all over the panel, then dump on your clear embossing powder. 



Here is a picture of my covered card and what it looks like when using your heat gun.  Be sure to move your heat gun all around and heat from all 4 sides as the powder will settle between the weaves.



Now, add a second layer of embossing powder for even more shine--it then looks more like tile!  The second photo shows the shine after the second layer of powder!


  

Here is my completed panel, which I layered on another brilliant blue layer and the black card base. Look at all of that shine!



My stamped image is an older Stampin' Up single stamp called Sail Away.  I stamped it with Night of Navy and die cut with also an older Spellbinders Nestabilities die set called Layers Small and Large.  




 Here is a close-up of the corner, showing all of the shine on the woven panel!


I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and pictures of my project for today.   I invite you to join us by making your own card today.  And, be sure to check out Jeanette, Darlene and Kelly's blog later today to see how they did on this  shiny technique.  Go and have some fun!  

Darlene is up as our counsellor tomorrow, so be sure to check her blog in the morning to see what we have in store for our last camping and stamping class.  I hope you are having fun by join us for our week of winter camping!


Image/Sentiment:   Stampin' Up Sail Away

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up Basic Black, Brilliant Blue; The Paper Cut Cougar Opaque 100# White

Ink:  Versamark and Clear Embossing Powder

Accessories:  Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Small and Large; Bone Folder; Score Tape; Simon Says Stamp Strips 1; Silicone Mat; Heat Gun



3 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Wow! This is a new to me technique (ive seen it but not tried it) and did you ever give us a sensational sample! So striking in cokor and design! I love the serenity of the sailboat image as a contrast to the bold backsplash background! Camp hugs!

Darlene LeTavec said...

Oh how fun!!! I tried weaving strips a zillion years ago, in the days before dies. Not very successful, LOL. I LOVE the shine! Makes it really look like tiles! I can't wait to try this!! What an awesome tutorial!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a great technique Barb - I must give this one a go - your finished card is amazing, love it
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine