Monday, January 25, 2021

Stamping Sisters Mini Winter Camp ~ Day 1


Hello friends and Stamping Sisters!  Welcome to our Stamping Sisters Mini Winter Camp 2021.  Yes, we are going winter camping.  There are four teachers who will be leading your classes this week from 4 different states.  Three are in the middle of winter as Jeanette lives in Illinois, Darlene is in Washington state and I live in Wisconsin.  Our 4th teacher Kelly lives in the sweet state of Florida where I believe winter does not exist!

The 4 of us participated in our first Stamping Sisters Mini Card Camp in June of 2020.  This was the brainchild of my good friend Kelly and when she asked three of us to join her at camp, we all jumped and said yes.  I volunteered at the end of camp last summer to organize another round and that is this week.  Wait--we had a June camp in Florida and now a winter 2021 camp in Wisconsin?  We sure are messed up. But, here we are again! Coincidently, three years ago, all 4 of us were at my house for a "real" stamp Camp-in-Oga weekend!  We still are heading to camp, though for 2020 and now in 2021, this is a virtual one and everyone is invited to attend.  Please join us--it sure will be fun!


Here are our blogs and the days we are going to be the camp counselor:

Monday, January 25 ~  Barb (me!)  @ inkingintoretirement
Tuesday, January 26 ~ Darlene @ Accordingtobijou
Wednesday, January 27 ~ Kelly @ Sandcastlestamper
Thursday January 28 ~ Jeanette @ Creativeplay

Yes, I am up today as your first instructor.  My challenge for the day, along with a tutorial for making a card, is below.  Each day one of us will provide the directions and photos for our card.  The challenge will be posted on the teacher's blog in the morning.  We hope you will join us.  Please Play Along--and remember, it is free to attend our camp!  

For my card, these are the supplies you will need.  Various scraps or pieces of cardstock.  You can use a rainbow of colors—or various shades of one or two colors.  The pieces need to be as long or wide as your card-and will be cut in strips.  You will also need a word die—a large one if possible and a stamp that is a strip sentiment-one line of words or a single word. Then basics, adhesive, card base, die cut machine, ink, etc.

Here we go:

First, I think you should pick out your word die and the sentiment.  I went with  Waffle Flower Oversize Heart and made a second set of cards with Waffle Flower Oversize Hello.


Then, if you have a die set that cuts strips, you can use that.  I recently purchased Simon Says Stamp Strips 1 and 2 as I really like that they have a bit of an edge on the side of the strip.  Or, you can just cut strips in various widths with your paper trimmer.  Your Choice!  I used the dies and cut strips from all 4 of the dies for various widths (.15, .35, .6 and .8)


Now, you will need to decide on your color combo for the background and grab those scraps and strips of cardstock you have saved from past projects.  I went with shades of red:


Taking the various strips, come up with a pattern for placing the strips on your piece of cardstock.  You should start with a piece of A2 cardstock as it can be trimmed at the end for size you want to use for your card front.  You can also use a piece of cardstock that had been stamped on one side as it is going to be covered with strips or can be on the back, like you will see with mine below.  You can either use liquid glue or your tape runner and cover the front of your cardstock with the adhesive.  If using liquid glue, put in on half if the card front at a time so it does not dry out. For my first card, I placed one of the widest strips down the middle from corner to corner.  Then, add different colors and widths of strips as you wish to fill up the card front.  Any random pattern works!


When all of the strips are down, if you turn your cardstock over, it should look something like this:


 
Now, you can use a large scissors to trim them off along the 4 edges.  






Your completed front is now done and you can trim with a paper trimmer to the card front size you want to use.



I then die cut the word Heart three times from white cardstock and layered them on top of each other, using liquid glue.  I like the dimension the three layers give to word dies--especially the large ones.



I layered my striped background on a piece of black cardstock, then on a white card base.  I think a single sentiment strip looks best with the large die cut, so I picked one and heat embossed on black cardstock.  I added a few white sequins for the final touch.  My card is complete!  Your lesson for today is done.



I then grabbed a few shades of green cardstock and made another set of backgrounds. This time I laid them horizontally, vertically and again on an angle.


I picked another Waffle Flower Stamp and Die Set called Oversize Hello:


Here are the completed three cards I made, with some added bling:


It is now your turn.  Pick a color theme--use one or two colors--or maybe use all of the colors of the rainbow--ROYGBIV!  Cut the cardstock in various widths or use a strip die.  Find a large word die and a coordinating strip sentiment.  Create your striped background with strips, add your word die with the coordinating sentiment and your card is done.  So Now, go and have some fun!  

I hope you have enjoyed my cards and the tutorial for making this fun card.  It is not hard, but I think it looks so cool!  I invite you to join me by making your own card,  And, I do hope you are able to play along with us all week.  We will each post our lesson in the morning and then in the afternoon, we will post a card made from the day's lesson.  Darlene is up tomorrow morning with her class and I will be posting a card from her tutorial tomorrow afternoon.  I have no idea what the other three teachers will be making-I just know the supplies needed!  So, I will be playing along with all of you!


Image/Sentiment:  Waffle Flower Oversize Hello and Heart Stamp Sets and Matching Dies

Cardstock:  Neenah Class Crest 110# Solar White; Stampin' Up Black and shades of red and green 

Ink:  Hero Arts Intense Black; White Embossing Powder

Accessories:  White Enamel Dots; White Sequins; Simon Says Stamp Strips 1 and 2 Die Sets; Stampin' Up Mini Banner Tag Punch; 



6 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Wooow!! These sure are absolute eye candy!! My pencils are sharpened and I’m sitting up straight in my seat !! such a creative use of little scraps of paper- I can’t wait to get home and give this a try. Outstanding first day of school!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Oh what fun! I love this tutorial, Barb... and your cards are gorgeous! I just hope I can do your project justice!

Darlene LeTavec said...

How fun!! I can't wait to try this when I get back home later today!! Thanks for organizing the camp, and for organizing our team. This is a great start to our camp!!!

Donna said...

Great tutorial Barb! I'm going to try this out. Your camp sounds like fun!

kiwimeskreations said...

So glad you are doing the camp again - I have used this technique and think it is a lot of fun. Love your cards Barb!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

bensarmom said...

Wahoo! I got to do your challenge today. I loved your samples so much Barb, that I had to make one of my own. I've never done a large word die with a line sentiment added to it. This was a great challenge.