Thursday, January 28, 2021

Stamping Sisters Mini Winter Camp ~ Day 4


Hello friends and Stamping Sisters!  Welcome to Day 4--the final day-- of our Stamping Sisters Mini Winter Camp 2021. I was the first teacher on Monday and we learned how to strip.  Using card strips--not what you might be thinking.  It is winter by the way!   Darlene was our teacher Tuesday and we learned to reflect.   Wednesday it was Kelly's day to teach us to use some of the magazines we have for backgrounds.  Today, our teacher is Jeanette-let's see what she is presenting. Please join us--it sure will be fun!


Here are our blogs and the days we were the camp counselor if you need to look back:

Monday, January 25 ~  Barb (me!)  @ inkingintoretirement
Tuesday, January 26 ~ Darlene @ Accordingtobijou
Wednesday, January 27 ~ Kelly @ Sandcastlestamper
Thursday January 28 ~ Jeanette @ Creativeplay


For Jeanette's card, this is what she said:  Grab that bottle old-fashioned school glue. It could be the good stuff (Elmer's) or the cheap stuff. I read somewhere - I don't remember where - that when you add glue to cardstock (AND LET IT COMPLETELY DRY), you will get varying coverage of ink when you blend ink onto it. As I recall the technique could be used with any kind of ink. So--take a piece of plastic packaging and added a fair amount of glue in a pool on it and then I dabbed a 2" square acrylic block into the glue and then transferred the glue onto a piece of cardstock by gently placing the acrylic block on the cardstock, glue-side down. I repeated this process until I had a reasonable coverage on the cardstockSet the glued pieces of cardstock aside and let them completely dry. Once the glue has completely dried, use a blender brush to add ink to the cardstock and notice how the glue areas take the ink differently than those without glue. She also had a few other options so be sure to check out her blog if you want more info.  

I have never done something like this, so it was time to get into a sticky situation.  I took cheap glue--office supply store type--and put it on a piece of thick acetate.  I had a small piece about 2" x 4" that I cut off of the piece I used for Darlene's reflection technique on Tuesday.  I then swiped it over three different types of cardstock--two different whites-Neenah and Cougar as well as an ivory from Recollections.  I put down the glue in the morning, before I did a few errands and a treadmill walk.

This afternoon, they were all dry, though I could not see much difference in how the sheets looked.  I then brush blended two shades of colors of Taylored Expressions inks on each of the cards and then I saw the shades react differently.



I decided to use the purple one and the shades of brown on the ivory.  For the purple, I picked a die from The Stamps of Life called Thank You.  I also cut a larger circle from a piece of cardstock to see how that looked under, but I liked the color showing through.  A few enamel dots was the only embellishment.


For the shades of brown, I used two Stampin' Up sets--Gently Falling for the leaf and Country Home for the sentiment.  I used Gina K Designs Master Layouts 2 and 3 to cut the circles and stitching around the colored panel.  Three enamel dots and linen thread are the added embellishments.



I really like both of the cards and the panels with the colors are pretty:



I hope you have enjoyed my cards. I invite you to join us by making your own card today and maybe go back to make a card from the previous three days.  It is now your turn. Please check out Jeanette's blog today to get her tips on how to make a sweet background with glue..  And, be sure to check out Darlene and Kelly's blog later today to see how well they did on this technique.  Go and have some fun!  

I am not sure what the plans are for future camps--but I am ready for round 3!  Maybe later this spring or in the early summer again like we did in 2020.  I hope you have enjoyed our week of winter camping!


Image/Sentiment:  Stampin' Up Gently Falling, Country Home/The Stamps of Life Thank You Die

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up Early Espresso, Soft Suede; Gorgeous Grape, Highland Heather; Neenah Classic Crest White; Cougar Opaque White; Recollections Ivory

Ink:  Stampin' Up Early Espresso, Crumb Cake on Leaf Card/Various Taylored Expressions Ink Cubes for backgrounds, using TE Blender Brushes

Accessories:  White Glue; Enamel Dots; Stampin' Up Linen Thread; Gina K Designs Master Layouts 2 and 3




4 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Barb, your cards are gorgeous! The glue/ink background pieces turned out awesome and your cards allow them to really show up! Thank you for using my tutorial today! And thanks for a great camp experience!

MiamiKel said...

Hey, you stole my lines, LOL Funny. These turned out great and I really love the look of the bright purple one! I like the bold lettering as a focal point, too! You did great with today's class!

kiwimeskreations said...

What amazing cards Barb - love the purple one in particular where you have let the glued background really stand out!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Carol W said...

WOW WOW WOW this technique looks amazing. Great job on the cards.