Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Stamping Sisters Mini Winter Camp ~ Day 2


Hello friends and Stamping Sisters!  Welcome to Day 2 of our Stamping Sisters Mini Winter Camp 2021. I was the first teacher yesterday and we learned how to strip.  Using card strips--not what you might be thinking.  It is winter by the way!  Today it is Darlene's day to teach us--so let's go. Please join us--it sure will be fun!


Here are our blogs and the days we are going to be the camp counselor:

Monday, January 25 ~  Barb (me!)  @ inkingintoretirement
Tuesday, January 26 ~ Darlene @ Accordingtobijou
Wednesday, January 27 ~ Kelly @ Sandcastlestamper
Thursday January 28 ~ Jeanette @ Creativeplay


For Darlene's card, this is what she said:  OK...my class, along with my "tutorial" is "Reflection Technique".  Why do I have "tutorial" in quotes??  Because my card is a lesson in what went wrong!  Hahahahaha!  I can't wait to see what you all can do RIGHT!  I do hope that you  play along and have fun in our winter virtual stamp camp! So...My idea was to watercolor a landscape with sky, earth and lake.  Then create silhouettes of trees using SU's timeless classic "Lovely as a Tree" set.

I have tried the reflection technique in the past and have not been successful.  Today was no different as my card is the third attempt!  For my first card, I watercolored a piece of Fabriano Cold Press watercolor cardstock with Altenew Watercolor Brush Markers--the Tropical Fiesta Set.  Then, I stamped the large Lovely as a Tree with Hero Arts Intense Black.  So far--so good.  Then, I stamped the three trees I wanted to reflect in the water on a piece of acetate and laid it on the water.  Nope--nothing happened.  So, I tried it again.  No luck.  So, I tried it with StazOn-still nothing.  I know the color of the water was pretty dark, but I was not seeing hardly any ink--other than one blub on ink!  One final try--let's try Versamark and emboss for a bit of shine, like a true reflection on water or even an icy lake.  So, here is the one that did not turn out at all!


So--that bit of "stuff" on the dark blue water is 4 or 5 attempts with black ink on acetate and the final one with Versamark and embossed with Iridescent Ice.......   See a reflection or just dots?  Epic Fail!

Then, I decided I need to stamp and do the reflection first, and then watercolor.  So, I stamped this time with Versafine Onyx Black and did the reflection with the same ink and a piece of acetate.  I actually did it twice, but it still is not the reflection I had hoped.  I wonder if part of the problem is all of the little lines in the stamps--Oh Well, it is what it is and might not be too back.  This time, I also changed my medium.  I used another Altenew Watercolor product, their pan watercolors.  I also added a sun to the corner and trimmed the cardstock down a bit on all 4 sides.  The sentiment is from a package of Simon Says Stamp sentiment strips.



I hope you have enjoyed my card. I invite you to join us by making your own card today and maybe go back to make one with paper strips from the directions that I posted here yesterday.  And, I do hope you are able to play along with us all week.  We will each post our lesson in the morning and then in the afternoon, we will post a card made from the day's lesson.  Kelly is up tomorrow morning with her class and I will be posting a card from her tutorial tomorrow afternoon. 

It is now your turn. Please check out Darlene's blog today to get her tips on what to do and not do.  And, be sure to check out Kelly and Jeanette's blog later today to see how well they did the reflection technique.  Go and have some fun!  


Image/Sentiment:  Stampin' Up Lovely as a Tree/Simon Says Stamp sentiment strips

Cardstock:  Fabriano Cold Press Watercolor Paper; Stampin' Up Night of Navy, Mossy Meadow, Old Olive

Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black

Accessories:  Altenew Pan Watercolors



4 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Barb, your card is very pretty - love the way the trees look kind of feather'y in the water... just like there were ripples. Great look!

MiamiKel said...

Barb I actually like the first panel and I hope you turn it into a card ... not all lakes are created the same :) Beautiful card and end result - thanks for playing along in class today!

Darlene LeTavec said...

Great job, Barb!! I really like both backgrounds, especially adding the sun in the corner on one. Very nicely done. Those reflections are a bugger aren't they?! But I agree with Jeanette. The subtle "feathery" look does remind me of ripples on the water. Thanks for your patience with this and thanks for adding to our tips on the Reflection Technique.

kiwimeskreations said...

A great result Barb - the partially stamped reflection makes it look as though the water is rippling - all very realistic!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine